A home invasion is scary. You can take steps to prevent a burglary from happening to your home or personal property. I’ve compiled some tips from Allstate Insurance and the Seattle Police Department on preventing home invasions.
8 important steps that will help prevent burglaries:
- When you move into a new home, make sure to change all the locks. You don’t know who had keys before you moved in. In addition, if you ever lose your keys, replace the locks.
- Install deadbolt locks on all exterior doors and use metal bars on sliding doors.
- Install an alarm system. They are one of the best defenses against home invasion. Generally, intruders are deterred by a house with a Security System sign in the front yard.
- Add timers on exterior lights and install motion sensor lighting directed at any entries and vulnerable areas of your home.
- Install safety glass or security film on vulnerable windows.
- Trim trees and shrubs to allow visibility to windows and doors.
- Double-hung windows should be secured with locking pins.
- Never leave ladders out and make sure they are not easily accessed.
Contact me for more information about this or other real estate questions.